Why is Discord Mic Not Working? Well, in this article you will get to know about the reasons along with the solutions.
Discord these days is well known on the internet, may it be for video calls, voice chat, texts, and more but most importantly discord is used by gamers to communicate with their friends or other gamers whenever they play. There is always a certainty that while using this kind of apps, they may tend to create some problems like the Discord Mic Not Working while playing, app crashing, etc. There are a lot of aspects to an app but here we are going to focus mainly on the Mic problem of the discord app.
Discord Mic Not Working
Whenever you play a game with another person, the main reason behind the success of the game is the interaction between the players but with apps like discord which are totally used for interaction between the players, problems like mic not working can appear. There are a few things that you can check and will help you resolve this problem.
Discord Mic: Things to check
Some problems can lead to your mic not working while interacting through discord. A few of them are;
- If your audio driver is updated or not.
- Always check the voice settings on discord and if not working reset them.
- Quit discord and rerun it as an administrator
Fix: Discord Mic Not Working | Discord Not Recognizing Mic
While using VoIP(Voice over Internet Protocol) apps like Discord, a few of the times mic problems can be seen because you are using your internet to talk to another person instead of a regular cell connection in real-time. When you are not heard it can be a frustrating moment as you feel you are there but actually, you are not.
Checkout: Fix: Discord Overlay Not Working In 2021
Most of the time you can hear another person saying clearly but you are not able to respond. This problem of Mic not recognizing is mainly seen when you are using a downloaded Discord app and not on the online version. There are a few methods below that can surely ensure your Mic problem to be resolved.
Test your Mic Input In Discord
This step ensures that it is indeed the Discord app that is creating the mic problem by not detecting it, not anything else.
- Firstly, you have to open your Discord app. Then go to the user settings, the setting icon or logo can be clearly found at the left bottom of the application, when found open it.
- The next thing that you have to do is to select the Voice & Video and do a Mic test. Click Let’s Check, which would be written in purple on the screen, and check if you hear your voice when Discord plays it back.
- The conclusion that you can find hereafter listening to your voice is that the problem is not with your mic. Though after this test, it is possible that while using the discord app another person might have muted you on purpose or accidentally. You can always think of any other causes to your problem.
The microphone is properly connected
The first thing that you should be aware of while connecting the microphone to the computer is that, is the microphone properly connected or not. You should physically check your computer for this error. Apart from this, check the mic setting in your discord app to confirm that you have connected to the required mic. For the correct mic setting you can follow the given steps;
- Select the User Setting in the bottom left corner of the discord app. Click on it.
- In that find the header called App Settings, then click Voice & Video.
- In the Voice Setting, you will find Input Device and Output Device Setting. Select the Input Device Setting and click on the drop-down menu and select your preferred microphone as the input device.
- After selecting the preferred microphone, max out its volume with the help of the Input Volume Slider, if it is not the case by default.
- Now check if your mic problem is resolved or not.
Discord is allowed to use the mic
This is the first basic step that you should follow after installing the Discord app. This can be done following the given steps;
- In Windows Search type “settings” and click Enter on it.
- Go to the Privacy option and select it.
- Choose Microphone under the header App Permission.
- There should be a heading known as “Allowing apps to access your microphone”. Turn On the toggle switch if it is not already turned on. It should always be On while using the Discord app otherwise you will not be able to access your microphone on Discord.
Logout Discord and Re Login
Sometimes it is not the Discord app that’s creating a mic problem but the system itself that you are using is the main cause. Most people use desktop and initially, the app you install is not compatible with the system the first time. In this case, you can log out from the app in the system. The Log Out should not be done by just closing the app but through a given procedure. In the Discord, click on the cogwheel that you see as User Setting and select the Log Out option at the very bottom of the scrolling menu on the left. After you have logged out and completely closed the Discord app, launch the application again and Log In. Now check that this has resolved the mic issue or not.
Restart your computer
When most of the process that you were involved with to resolve your mic issue doesn’t work, try restarting your computer. First, close whatever you are doing on the Discord app. Also, close all the other applications on your computer if you are working on any to safely restart your computer. After everything is closed, go to the bottom left corner of your computer screen and select the windows icon. Click on that, after clicking on it you will have a few options in which one of them will be to Restart your computer. Click on it. Finally, the restarting process will begin and your computer will start in a few seconds depending on your computer. After the computer has restarted successfully, launch the Discord app and check if the mic is working or not.
Run Discord as Administrator
If it isn’t going well and you are getting nowhere by applying different methods, you can run it as an Administrator to see if it works or not.
- Find and right-click on the Discord Icon on your Windows Taskbar. Then click Quit Discord.
- On your desktop, right-click on the Discord shortcut icon and select Run As Administrator.
- Click Yes and then try to send an audio message on Discord to see if your microphone works.
Update your audio driver
The mic glitch that usually happens is because either you have an old audio driver or the audio driver is missing. It can easily be solved by updating your computer’s audio driver. Two ways can help you get the correct audio driver, either manually or automatically.
- Manual Driver Update – Go to the manufacturer website and search for the most recent correct driver. The only thing to remember here is that you should be sure to choose the driver that is compatible with your variant of the windows system.
- Automatic Driver Update – If you don’t want to manually update the audio drivers of your computer, you can do it automatically by downloading and installing the Driver Easy app. Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct driver for your audio card and the variant of your windows system.
Reset the voice settings on Discord
This problem can sometimes be solved by resetting the voice settings on Discord. Here’s how;
- Click the Setting icon on the home page of Discord.
- Click the Voice & Video, then Reset Voice Settings.
- Click Ok and reconnect your microphone. Then try to send an audio message on Discord to see if your microphone works.
FAQ 1 – What to do if Discord not picking up the mic?
Enabling the ‘Automatic Input Sensitivity’ in Discord can help you resolve this problem.
FAQ 2 – Is it bad to leave a microphone plugged in?
When not in use the microphone should always be plugged out.
FAQ 3 – Discord mic not working when watching the stream?
Go to settings in Discord, click Voice & Video and reset Voice Settings. Reconnect your microphone and try sending an audio message on Discord to see if Microphone works.
FAQ 4 – What to do when Discord not detecting the mic?
A few things that you can do to get this problem solved are;
- log out and log in again in Discord.
- Disconnect your audio from the computer.
- Restart computer.
- Run Discord as Administrator
This is all for the article Discord Mic Not Working, if you are still facing any problem do comment down below. Don’t forget to share this article with your discord family.